Tech + Education + Diversity at #SXSW2014
The Three Day Community Tech Workshop organized by BiTHouse and Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center (ESB-MACC) is essentially meant to “Bridge the Gap” between the communities and technology. BiTHouse and ESB-MACC will achieve this by giving a platform to invoke interest especially by the youth in STEM as well as a competition showcasing the work of those already engaged in productive tech developments.
The BiTHouse Pitch Competition which will be held on March 5th, kicks off at 10:15AM. Judges in this event includes: Alyssa Chavez (Latinitas) Jewell Sparks (Strategic Diversity Group / BiTHouse), Natalia Oberti Noguera (Pipeline Fellowship), Brian Dixon (Kapor Capital), Jason Rosado (GivKwik), Muhammad Abdurrahman (Playtabase), Marcia Wade Talbert (Jet Magazine).
Participating entrepreneurs will be given a 3-Minute Pitch to present their ideas in front of the panel of judges. Entrepreneurs compete based in the following four categories:
- Youth – Students in Grade 6 to 10.
- Ideas Are Genius – Ones with great idea but would require a developer to build on it.
- Early Stage Entrepreneur – Have already developed a product/service but are yet to start selling it.
- Entrepreneur – Already, they have started selling their products/services.
If you fit the above requirement and wish to participate in the event, you can register by clicking here. You can register as a participant by clicking here. The sponsors of this competition are: the City of Austin, ESB-MACC, Sparks Fund, Strategic Diversity Group, Rising Stars, Strikingly, Mondelez, Kapor Center for Social Impact, GivKwik, UBER Community and Media Partners: Rising Stars, Pipeline Fellowship, Greater Austin Black Chamber of Commerce, BiTDigest, Latino Startup Alliance
From 12:00PM to 6:00PM the next order of event will be the BiTHouse Panel Discussions Tech + Education + Diversity. This will be broken down in the following order of events:
- 12:00PM to 1:00PM – The discussion will be based on the Society, Culture and Stereotypes and their impacts on Education, Financing and Employment. To see the list of speakers in this session click here. To attend this session, you can register by following this registration link.
- 1:00PM to 2:00PM – This will be a session dubbed, “Your Voice Matters”. Showcasing just how Social Media and Marketing Provokes Leadership Diversity. To view the list of the panelist who will conduct this session click here. To register for this session follow this registration link.
- 2:00PM to 3:00PM – “A Day in the Life of” which will consist of the list of panelist listed in this link. You can register for this event by clicking here.
- 3:00PM to 4:00PM – “Bridging the Gap” Food + Tech + Health. To view the list of panelist, you can click here. To register for this event, you can click here.
- 4:00PM to 5:00PM – Education and Technology: Resources Utilized to Increase Minority Interest in STEM. To view the list of the panelist, click here: To register for this session click here.
- 5:00PM to 6:00PM – Wearable Technologies: Aiding with Health Disparities and Disabilities. To view the Bios of the panelist click here. To register click here.