South Africa’s Top Mobile Apps
In line with Apple’s famous slogan: “There’s an app for that”. There is an ever increasing number of apps users as the days goes by. This is what perhaps prompted a research by Mobithinking, which concluded that by the end of 2017, there will be more than 4 billion users across the globe.
South Africa is one of those countries in which programmers and developers are working tirelessly to come up with apps to suite the market needs. The MTN Business App of the Year Awards has given recognition to some of these apps developed in South Africa. The list below shows some of the best apps that South Africa has got to offer:
- DStv App: This app won the Best iOS Consumer app awards. The DStv guide app was launched in 2011 on iPads, thus enabling DStv (South African owned pay digital TV service provider) subscriber to view the TV-Guide for the next 10 days. This app complements DStv’s online form and print media viewer guide, and has become more popular than the online form and print media viewer guides. More features like entertainment news and the ability to share contents, has been added to the DStv app.
- .comm Telco Data Visualizer: Voted as the Best iOS Enterprise, this app was developed by Deloitte Digital to take data of telco utilities and other big corporate organizations, and use the data to visualize them in a highly interactive bubble chart thus allowing a 3 dimensional understanding of the data. Another feature on this app is that it allows the user to drag the timeline hence view the customer segments of different daily timeframes. This new app unlike the traditional telco data, allows data to be grouped based on the users behavior and how they interact with their mobile devices. In addition to this it also keeps track on their migration pattern to different uses and spending patterns.
- SnapScan app: Won the Best App 7 Best HTML5 App award. This app enables you to pay for various goods and services using just your phone. According to Nomalange Nkosi, (General Manager of Enterprise Marketing at MTN South Africa) the team behind the SnapScan app did demonstrate a very solid passion for application development, coupled with their innovation and in depth understanding of what mobile users really want, lead them to the development of the SnapScan app.
- Kids Aid app: This app was awarded the Best Windows App. It is developed to deliver First Aid education to parents on how to perform various First Aid practices on kids in the event of an emergency. The app provides a step-by-step guide on how to carry out First Aid treatment to your kid or an infant in a fast and efficient manner that will yield the most desirable results.
- PriceCheck Mobile App: This was the best app under the Best BlackBerry app category. Back in May, this same app won the International App of the Year held by BlackBerry. This app essentially tells the users the various comparisons on the company’s products right on their mobile devices’ screen.
- MarkitShare App: It won the Best Android App Enterprise category. This app has modernized the process of listing real-estate property to the usual real-estate website platform and made it into a social platform allowing agencies and agents to share information faster and more effectively. Thus it maximizes the performance of the agents and agencies on a day to day basis thus improving their productivity.
- Nedbank App Suite: It won the Best Android App Consumer Category. It enables the bank customer to have a customizable and easily accessible banking, lifestyle mobile experience and financial services.
- Gautrain Buddy: It won the Best Independent (garage) Developer App. This app enables the user to view the Gautrain Trains and Bus timetable right from their phone, hence enable them to plan their commuting accordingly.
- Bookly: It won the Most Innovative App. It is an e-reader app developed for Mxit, allowing them to keep a library of books virtually. It also has several features like bookmarks, gamification, in-app moola purchases and an automatic book progress saving among others.
The above mentioned apps are the best apps from South Africa that won the various awards under the MTN Business App of the Year Awards under the various categories mentioned above.