StartUpAfrica is an initiative that started back in 2001 under the name DELKA (Delaware Kenyan Association). It later changed to StartUpAfrica following the violence that rocked Kenya after the 2007’s General Elections. The organization observed that the youth were exploited into causing mayhem, as a result of having no hope in the future since the socio-economic setup presented little to no opportunities for economic empowerment for them.
StartUPAfrica however identified that these youths were nonetheless well educated, talented and were in plenty. It hence set itself out on a mission to create an ecosystem that will nurture entrepreneurship. It began in Kenya and is now spreading beyond. As outlined in their website, StartUpAfrica’s vision is, “for an Africa resplendent with big, bold business ideas. We are here to create and support Africa’s inventors, entrepreneurs, and future business leaders. We are here to empower Africa’s Henry Ford, Africa’s Vera Wang, Africa’s Bill Gates and Africa’s next Manu Chandaria and Mo Ibrahim.”
Come September 27, 2014, StartUpAfrica will be holding its 11th Annual Africa Entrepreneurship Conference and Awards Gala. This year’s conference theme will be, “Investing for Sustainable Success” which will be a follow up on last year’s theme of “Great Ideas, Desired Change.” This year’s conference will be exploring into measures being taken in Africa to ensure that businesses not only succeeds but also are sustained. 2014’s StartUpAfrica’s Entrepreneurship Conference and Awards Gala will have panels discussing on the following keynotes:
- Entrepreneurship: “Launching Your Venture in USA: Insights for Success” – Africa is presented as a lucrative market for U.S. entrepreneurs to invest in. But first StartUpAfrica gives entrepreneurs some insights on how to establish their businesses in the U.S.
- Venture Capital and Financing Entrepreneurship – This concept has been vital in the U.S. and the world at large. There will be a panel discussion on the future prospects of this concept in terms of financing entrepreneurship.
- Youth and Entrepreneurship: Achieving Your Dreams – This panel acknowledges that small businesses form the cornerstone of economic empowerment and the youth are the future’s innovators, risk-takers and achievers and in the end tomorrow’s business leaders. Youths who have taken the risk to venture into the world of business will be given a forum to share their experiences.
- Accessing Capital Through Non-Traditional Sources – The panel will be sharing insights on how to get non-bank funding for your business. The panellist will be composed of representatives coming from different financiers that give non-traditional funding to start-up entrepreneurs.
- Idea Generation Competition – This is StartUpAfrica’s premiere competition for venture funding. It will give entrepreneurs the opportunity to showcase their start-up ideas and get feedback while competing for the start-up cash and prizes.
- Diaspora Entrepreneurs Success Stories: How They Did It – This session will be airing success stories of immigrants to the US, who either came for education or work, but soon ventured into business. You will hear from the Diaspora start-up company owners and how they overcame the challenges to establish a business and have it run successfully.
The venue for the event will be at the Sheraton Wilmington South Hotel, 365 Airport Rd, New Castle, DE 19720. The conference is set to be exciting and inspiring and welcomes you all, to register follow this link.