The THL 5000 Phablet Review
We all love our smartphones, the conveniences they bring to our life is just invaluable. But one thing we all love to hate about them, is that they tend to run out of power when we need them the most. Well, in all fairness all that computing power packed within these smart devices, do consume a lot of battery power.
Well one US-based start-up, the Amprius has come up with an innovative smartphone that goes a long way in terms of satisfying consumers need for a smartphone with a long battery life. Known as the THL 5000, Innov8tiv takes a look at just exactly what makes this phone unique.
- Design: The THL 5000 has a body dimension of 144.2×70.4×8.9mm, elevating it from just a smartphone category to a phablet category. It weighs about 146g, with bar-style body frame, the shell material made of plastic and comes in white colour.
- Display: As you would expect from a phablet, the THL 5000 features a 5-inch LCD display. With a pixel resolution of 1080×1920, PPI of 440 and fitted with a Gorilla Glass 3 front glass for protection. It is said to be 89% sharper than the average screen. The screen is a 5 point Multi-Touch display.
- Hardware: Under the hood, it packs a true octa-core Media Tek MT6592 chipset, clocking at 1.7GHz with a quad-core Mali 450 GPU clocking at 700 MHz. This processing power is backed by a 2GB RAM. It would be important to point out that if you are into 3D gaming, the THL 5000 runs 3D games quite smoothly. The phone runs Android 4.4 (KitKat) OS. In terms of storage it has a 16 ROM, and a microSD card slot that can accommodate up to 32GB card.
- Camera: It features a 5MP front camera which is more than enough to suit all the selfiephile needs. It has a 13MP rear camera with a Sony F2.0 aperture sensor and flashlight.
- Connectivity and Technology: The THL 5000 features HSDPA+ speeds reaching 42.2 Mbps, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, GPS, OTG, wide range of gestures support including the double-tap-to-wake-up functionality, quick customizable shortcuts like drawing a ‘c’ to activate the camera from a locked screen.
- Battery Life: The battery performance is the strongest selling point for this phone. Packed with a 5,000 mAh Li-Ion battery that has a Quick Charge capability and can be used to charge other mobile devices. According to THL, the phablet can run up to 1,000 hours on standby, 47 hours talktime, 11 hours internet surfing over Wi-Fi connection, 125 hours of music playback and 11.6 hours video playback. With a 5 inched display, this definitely is definitely a remarkable endurance for a smartphone battery. According to THL, the Li-ion battery is using a silicone conductive polymer as the anode, this is a cutting-edge technology that allows the battery to contain ten times the energy density. The very fact that they have housed a 5000 mAh battery into a 8.9mm and 5-inch smartphone is also very remarkable.
- Multimedia: The phone support video playback for the 3GP and MPEG4 file formats. On audio files it supports, MP3, WAV, AMR and AWB formats. It features both MP3 and Polyphonic ringtones. It can also support E-book files of TXT, CHM, DOC and HTML formats. It also has a 3.5mm earphone port to plug in your headsets and external speakers.
- Other Features: Email, Play Store, Calculator, tethering, Hotspot, Messaging, Wallpapers, Clock etc.
Pros: This is the smartphone you should have if you are big on battery life. With its 5,000 mAh battery, (that can rival those fitted in other tablet models).
Cons: The lack of LTE (4G connectivity) is a major disadvantage the THL 5000 has. The smartphone has not quite hit the mass commercialization level, and it is only available to wholesalers at pre-orders.
Verdict: Considering the smart features, fast processor, big RAM, big display with Multi-Touch functionality and the impressive camera performance all powered by a powerful long lasting battery. It is definitely worth, the $269.99 being charged, you can buy this smartphone at GearBest.com.