To move to a new home, you need to prepare no less seriously than for a hiking trip, keep a lot of information in your head, because there will be no time to fix it. The most obvious decision still will be hiring a reliable mover who knows packing hacks and is experienced enough to move fragile things. Before hiring the out-of-state movers check moving company reviews and ask for a moving Quote. First of all, make a list of the most important items in your opinion and collect them separately from others. During a lifetime, a large number of things accumulate in one place in the house. For a comfortable life, you need a lot of different furniture, dishes, textiles, clothing, books, appliances, plants in pots and vases… But immediately after moving, you will need things that can provide little comfort for a while, while you unpack the boxes and settle in a new place.
Basic necessities must be packed in separate boxes. You will greatly facilitate your life if you sign these boxes in as much detail and clearly as possible. You can even select a marker of a different color (for example, red) for them. It will be necessary to load these boxes into the transport last, so that when unloading in a new apartment, you can get and unpack them first.
So, the things of the most basic necessities.
1. Food and drinks for the first time
In Hollywood movies, happy lovers move into a new home with just a bottle of champagne and two glasses. In life, one glass of sparkling wine will not be enough. You can be sure that during the move, the appetite will be serious. Therefore, be sure to collect a small stock of products that are not demanding for storage conditions (moving is a long process, not all products will remain fresh outside the refrigerator). Do not forget water, tea and coffee, a kettle or a thermos of hot water. A plate and a cup for each family member, forks, spoons, a knife, napkins or paper towels — do not hide it far away, collect it in a separate box. You can also order food delivery to a new address.
2. Clothing and shoes for the first time
Save your time and save yourself a couple of sets of clothes and shoes in advance, in which you can go to work. By the way, shirts, blouses, suits and coats can be packed in special wardrobe boxes. The design of such boxes allows you to transport (and, if necessary, store) clothes directly on hangers. In addition to clothing for work, you will need to collect home clothes and shoes, underwear for all family members. Pack an iron and a clothes brush together with your clothes, so you can quickly put your clothes in order.
3. Towels, hygiene products, hairdryer
It is not necessary to put all the accessories from the bathroom and toilet in a box with basic necessities. You can limit yourself to the most necessary things: toothpaste and toothbrushes, shower gel, shampoo, hair combs, hairdryer, a few towels, a couple of rolls of toilet paper.
4. Bed linen, blankets, pillows
You will definitely be able to use them on the day of moving. The bed (or beds) will be assembled and you will be able to sleep comfortably.
5. Children’s things
If you have children, then you have a good idea of how many things your offspring need. As well as adults, children will need clothes for the first time, bed linen, and hygiene products. If the child is small, then he will need diapers, bottles. For students, you will need to collect textbooks and workbooks. And be sure to have age-appropriate toys, so that the child has something to do while the adults unpack.
6. First aid kit
Do not forget to bring medicines that are required by your family members (for example, your parents need drugs that control blood pressure, and your husband needs drugs for the care of contact lenses). In this first-aid kit, you need to provide band-aids, painkillers, iodine or similar antiseptics, drugs for food poisoning.
7. Tool kit
Fasten a shelf, attach a router or other equipment to the wall, hang a chandelier, cornices, paintings, photos, hooks in the bathroom — small household work will be enough. Assemble the necessary set of tools (screwdriver or screwdriver with replaceable attachments, hammer, pliers, pliers, wrench) and a small supply of fasteners. You will definitely need a few rolls of scotch tape when you need to collect, pack and take out used packaging, garbage, cardboard sheets.
8. Household chemicals
During the arrangement of the new place, there will be a big cleaning. Think about what you need to restore order and collect a small supply of cleaning products, sponges, rags, a mop or broom, garbage bags. A vacuum cleaner may also be useful. And we strongly recommend that girls grab a pair of thick rubber gloves. Not everyone likes to use them, but the hands need to be protected and protected.
9. Things for animals
Do you have a cat, dog, hamster, or other pets? You need to collect basic necessities for them: a tray, filler, food, bowls, collars, beds, cages, toys, etc.
10. Chargers for phones and tablets
Probably, the comments here are unnecessary. This item includes wires and adapters for all computer equipment that you may need immediately after moving. The main thing is not to forget to pack them together with the rest of the essentials.
11. Stationery knife or scissors
You will need a cutting tool when you start opening the boxes. Therefore, do not pack the knife with any other things, so that it can be easily reached at the first need.
We have compiled this list based on our many years of experience. Of course, you can supplement it according to your needs, but do not shorten it in any case.
What is important on the day of moving
- Start the morning on the day of moving with a good mood and breakfast.
- Important: the last thing you need to load into your car is the basic necessities. So after transportation, they will be unloaded first, and they will immediately be at your fingertips.
- After all the furniture is loaded into the car, check whether it is well fixed (moving companies should use machines with fasteners in vans).
- Inspect the premises-carefully check whether you have taken everything. If you leave the furniture-open the drawers, doors, look behind the cabinets and cabinets.
- Protect the walls and doorways in your new apartment. Often, when skidding furniture or large household appliances, there is a risk of damage to the finish. This is especially true when entering a room with a fresh renovation.
- When putting items in place, observe the marking principle. Put the rarely used items farther away, and the things that may soon be needed closer. Immediately bring the furniture and boxes to the rooms indicated on the label, or make sure that the movers follow your plan.
- To make it easier for your assistants to navigate the room, place a plan with the rooms in a prominent place near the entrance to the apartment. On the door of each room, also leave a note – this is a bedroom, a nursery or an office. Of course, this advice is especially relevant for multi-room apartments, private houses and cottages.
- Make sure that the furniture and other items are moved safely. To do this, a detailed numbered list of all the property is very useful.
- If you use the services of movers-do not rush without looking to sign the documents after the move is completed. It is important to correctly accept the work in the presence of the company’s employees, to make sure of the quality of the services provided. We have compiled a simple checklist of 10 steps-follow it to avoid misunderstandings and disputes.
We hope that our article will be useful to you and help you move without any problems. However, no matter how well you prepare for moving, it is impossible to foresee everything. The support of professionals will simplify the process of moving as much as possible.