2014 APO Media Award Finalists Announced
APO Media Award was setup to showcase and celebrate brilliant and inspiring stories about the African continent. The stories are judged on the basis of content, writing, analysis, creativity, human interest and community impact.
The 2014 APO Media Award finalists announced were as follows:
- Aimable Twahirwa – Rwanda, “Tech Entrepreneur Encourages Rwanda’s Young Women to Venture into ICT.” To read this, follow this link.
- Andualem Sisay Gessesse – Ethiopia, “The new face of agriculture in arid Ethiopia?”. Link.
- Claire Muthinji – Kenya, “Maintaining a strong saving culture in Africa.” Link.
- Elias Gebreselassie Woldegebriel – Ethiopia, “For Ethiopia, wildlife protection makes economic and climate sense.” Link.
- Felix Dela Klustse – Ghana, “Unlocking the potential of agribusiness in Africa.” Link.
- Inoussa Maiga – Burkina Faso, “La revolution mobile au Sahel.” Link.
- Kristia Van Heerden – South Africa, “How the poor can make you rich.” Link.
- Peter Kahare – Kenya, “In Saving a Forest, Kenyans Find a Better Quality of Life.” Link.
- Pius Sawa – Kenya, “Cheap, green solar bottles light up Kenyan slum.” Link.
- Sumitra Nydoo – South Africa, “South Africa’s Wonderbag Revolutionizes Cooking.” Link.
Three winners will be announced on September 29, 2014. Whereby the 1st place winner will be awarded a cash prize of $500 monthly for a period of one year, one laptop and one intercontinental flight ticket to a destination s/he chooses. In addition to a one year VIP lounges in over 600 airports worldwide.
The second-place winner will be awarded $300 each month for a period of one year while the third-place winner will get $200 monthly for one year.