Internet connection via Wi-Fi networks has become ubiquitous in our homes, offices, libraries, restaurants, and public establishments, among others. However, it can be somewhat nauseating to keep giving out the Wi-Fi password every time a new person comes to your premises.
Say you are at your home and have some visitors over. How inconvenient can it be to input the password on each visitors’ device manually? This inconvenience is probably what leads to a lot of people setting a simple password for their Wi-Fi. That is a major mistake by itself.
Do not put Easy-To-Remember Wi-Fi Password
Some people don’t want to be bothered with the repetitive process of sharing out their wireless network password with visitors. So they put something simple like their names or phone numbers. Well, that is how hackers mess you up with online heists like identity theft and hacked online accounts, among others.
Quick and Safe Ways to Share Wi-Fi Password
- It cannot be overemphasized enough that you do not want to set an easy-to-remember Wi-Fi password. It can be convenient, but the cons outweigh the pros. Cybersecurity experts advise that you should set it as complex as possible. To such an extent, you yourself can’t remember it, and each time you need it, you must manually look at it.
- Most routers today allow you to set up different and completely separate Wi-Fi networks. As it works out, you can have one Wi-Fi network just for your home or office devices. Then another one dedicated specifically to guest users. Needless to say, your private Wi-Fi network needs to have a more sophisticated Wi-Fi password than your guest network.
- It can be cumbersome to have to repeat giving out Wi-Fi password each time a visitor comes within your premises. Particularly if the password has complex alpha-numeric combinations. Below, we have some tips on how to conveniently and quickly share Wi-Fi password from your Android or iOS device.
Quickly Share Wi-Fi Password on an Android Device
Once you’re connected to a particular Wi-Fi network, you can share its password via an inbuilt feature on Android in the form of a QR code.
- On your Android mobile device, go to Settings > Connections (or Network on some devices) > Wi-Fi. You must be connected to the Wi-Fi network whose password you’d like to share.
- Tap on the Settings cog located on the right side of the Wi-Fi network you’re sharing.
- Tap on the QR-Code at the bottom of the screen.
- Have your quest scan the QR code from your phone onto their phone. Voila, you have quickly and easily shared the Wi-Fi password.
Share Wi-Fi Password on an iPhone
On your iPhone, navigate to Shortcuts for Accessibility. Then scroll down to QR Your WiFi and tap on Add Shortcut.
Next time you want to share the Wi-Fi password, tap My Shortcuts > QR Your WiFi, then enter the Wi-Fi name and password. Tap on Done. The QR code created can be scanned by another smartphone (Android or iOS) to gain access to your current Wi-Fi connection.
The QR Code generated in both instances mentioned above can be printed, and the printout can be placed at a convenient location for users to scan and get connected to the Wi-Fi network simply.