Have you ever found yourself stuck with an old smartphone and wondered just what to do with it? Of course, if you want, you could dump it into the recycle bin but if it can still be useful, throwing it may be an act too soon.
However, you can turn that phone into a security camera for your home. Yes, you read that right. You can use your old smartphone as your home security camera. Below we look at how you can do that.
- First, find a reliable security camera app from whatever app store you are using. Many of the popular and reliable apps include Manything, Presence, and Alfred.
- Once you have found the app, install it on your old smartphone then access it and create your account with whatever app you have. If you had previously used the app, you can simply sign in
- Then, find an optimal spot where you can position the camera. This could be on a wall facing the door or any other desired area that you think could be a magnet for burglars, for example, the backdoor.
- Then, follow the app’s instructions and connect the phone to your Wi-Fi network.
- Then, using your current smartphone or computer, you can then gain access to live feeds from the old smartphone on the app in your current smartphone or computer.
- Ensure that you either have a charger plugged into the phone at all times. You wouldn’t want the phone to run out of charge when you are away.
There you have it! This is an affordable and convenient way of repurposing your old smartphone as a home security camera. It is an excellent solution that takes advantage of the existing resources and is a sustainable way of living.