You are here Home » Games » Evolution of Online Slot Machines — From Niche Gaming to a Billion-Dollar Industry

Evolution of Online Slot Machines — From Niche Gaming to a Billion-Dollar Industry


Slots have been the most popular type of casino game for almost a century. Casino game developers have always been eager to experiment with this type of entertainment and introduce new features for slot players, which resulted in the continuous growth of the gambling industry.

Electronic slots created a revolution in the industry, replacing their mechanical counterparts in the mid-20th century, but this was not the most significant technological shift. That took place in the 90s when the first online video slot was created and shook the very foundations of the industry.

Online casinos started small, offering just a handful of online slots for die-hard fans of this type of entertainment. However, that soon changed when players began realizing the potential of online slots.

But slots didnt stop growing. On the contrary, the online gambling industry started evolving faster than ever. Nowadays, billions of dollars are circulating, and online slot machines are the driving force behind them. Lets see how to play these slot machines and what makes them different from their land-based counterparts.

How to Play Slot Machines Online

Truth be told, online slots arent very different from land-based slot machines. Most of them even have a similar grid structure and use identical bonus features. Your goal is to set the amount you want to wager per spin and click the Spin button to set the reels into motion. Once they stop and some of the symbols align on one of the paylines, youll receive a payment.

However, online slots have been more experimented with, and some of them have special bonus rounds and features that you wont find in any land-based casino game. Whenever you play an online slot with an unusual special feature, make sure to read more about it before spinning the reels, as that will help you understand the game better.

How Are Online Slot Machines Different From Land-Based Slots

Even though both games can be similar on the surface, their underlying technologies are often very different. Most online slots are built with the help of HTML5 technology, which allows you to play slots on many devices, including phones and tablets.

Most importantly, online slots have a higher RTP percentage. RTP stands for return to player and shows how much is returned as prizes on average. For example, if the RTP of a game is 95%, it means that 95% of all money that players bet will be paid back as prizes, while the slot will keep the remaining 5% as a fee.

Since there are so many players playing slots on the web, online providers can offer higher RTP compared to land-based slots, which means youre more likely to win a prize.

Progressive Jackpots in Online Slot Machines

Progressive jackpots underwent a considerable change with the appearance of online slots. Some online providers can accept thousands of people playing one slot simultaneously and contributing to the pot. Thats how some of the biggest slots progressive jackpots were created. One such example is Microgamings Mega Moolah which made several people multi-millionaires overnight. This isnt possible with land-based slots as the number of players is physically limited.

What to Bear in Mind When Playing Online Slots

Many great slot machine tips can help you improve your experience when playing the popular casino game type on the web. Still, please bear in mind that you cannot affect the outcome, as both online and land-based slots are games of chance. However, there are some things you can do to get the best out of playing slots:

  • Prepare your budget before playing slots.
  • Adjust the bet size according to your budget.
  • Dont let emotions take over.
  • Always set the time you plan to spend playing slots.
  • Dont use any betting strategies for slots, as they can only make you lose more money.


To sum up, playing online slots has never been more exciting, as there are thousands of different games offered in dozens of online casinos. Its up to you to explore them and pick the ones that you like. The best thing of all is that you can play most of these slots completely free of charge. However, you will not be able to win real prizes in that case.

You may also like