Vcruntime140.dll is a runtime library that is essential for the Microsoft Visual Studio (Visual C++). When Windows fails to find the “dll” file in the system folder, the operating software displays a “missing vcruntime140_1.dll” message.
The library is integral to the functioning of the program. The error message appears when the file isn’t present, it isn’t in working condition, there is a mismatch, or the library is in quarantine of the antivirus software in your computer.
When Do You Need to Download VCRUNTIME DLL
DLL files are generally saved in the System 32 folder. The “missing vcruntime140.dll” error can occur in the following circumstances:
- When there is a problem with Adobe and its Creative Cloud as a result of the migration from Microsoft Runtimes to Visual C++;
- When the library is missing from your system or has been corrupted as a result of damage by software or malware;
- When the “vcruntime140.dll” file has been deleted from your system, and the App you are trying to use cannot function without it.
How to Troubleshoot the Problem
The following are ways to solve the issue.
Method 1: Download and Install
You could download and install the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package. By doing this, you will provide your system with all the files required to run apps that work with the DLL files.
Note: It would be best not to download the file from third-party sources since the files could contain viruses.
Restart the system after downloading and installing. After installation, run the file to see if there are any more error messages.
Method 2: Install the DLL Files Manually
Install the DLL file and copy and paste the same into the system 32 folder. You will have to unzip the folder before copying it. Now open Folder C, go to System 32 folder, and paste the file.
Method 3: Run the SFC Scan or the System File Checker Scan
The SFC Scan is a default tool that comes with Windows 10, and its prime function is to fix corrupted files and other problems by default.
- Press Windows + R to open the “Run” file and type in “cmd”;
- Now press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. This step will open a command prompt;
- Select the “allow the command prompt to make changes” option and click “OK”;
- Type in the “sfc/scannow” command and press Enter;
The file checker will scan your computer and resolve any issues it may find with the files and programs.
Method 4: Update Windows 10
Updating may even give you access to new features and functions besides solving problems with existing files.
- Go to the “Start” menu, open “Settings,” or use the keyboard shortcut Windows+I;
- Click on the “Update and Security” Option and click the “Check for Updates” button;
- After the system installs the latest update, you may run the App that requires the DLL library.
Other Ways to Troubleshoot
Several users report that re-installing or updating the Windows 10 software solves the problem. Alternatively, you could try reinstalling the App you were trying to use. To be able to reinstall the App, you will first have to “Uninstall” it.
Fixing the errors with vcruntime140_1.dll will give you the freedom to use your favorite Apps and play your favorite games smoothly.