How to Upgrade Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 – Screenshots
Windows update 8.1, also called as Windows blue, brings enhancements in your search, personalization, the Windows store, apps and the cloud connectivity. It carries the security and reliability features that you expect from Windows. It is quite fast as observed on a variety of devices, especially on the new generation of the touch devices.
If you are currently using Windows 8, you can get updates for Windows 8.1 for absolutely free of cost. Windows 8.1 free upgrade is available from Windows store.
The system requirements for running Windows 8.1 are nearly the same as those for Windows 8. Before you update your Windows, keep in mind the following things.
- Your desktop apps, files, user accounts, and settings come with you. Windows 8.1 carries some new apps, and it will update or replace some of your existing built-in apps. Your existing Windows store apps will have to be re-downloaded once the update is completed.
- Microsoft will check your current desktop apps and other connected devices. It will let you know what you need to do about these apps for getting them ready for updates.
- If you have a Microsoft account for logging into your Windows 8, the same will work for Windows 8.1.
- You can use your PC while the update is being installed in the background. The update time depends on factors like internet connection and system specifications.
Prepare Your PC for Windows Update 8.1
You should do the following things before installing update for Windows 8.1.
- Backup your files by setting up File History.
- You should have sufficient disk space for installing updates: 3.85GB for 64 bit and 3GB for 32 bit version of Windows 8.1.
- Keep your device powered throughout the process.
- Use reliable internet connection for Windows 8.1 free upgrade.
- Use the automatic update feature of Windows to get critical updates before moving towards free upgrade to Windows 8.1.
- Temporarily turn off your antivirus software that may intermingle with your Windows 8.1 update process.
Free Upgrade to Windows 8.1
Now you are ready to download updates from Windows store.
Go to the Start screen, and hit the Store tile.
Tap the Windows 8.1 in Store.
Click Download button.
The update process will start in the background while you use your PC to perform other things. The installer will check for the sufficient available disk space on your hard disk.
In some cases, the installer might require you to take some actions. In such cases, messages will pop-up asking you what to do next.
Once the update process is complete, a message will pop-up showing that you need to restart your machine. It will give you 15 minutes to save your work before restarting automatically.
Choose Your Settings
You will be asked to choose your settings. It is recommended to use Express settings.
Next, you need to sign in to your Microsoft account.
Welcome to New Windows
You will finally see a new Start screen for your updated Windows 8.1.
You can obviously install Windows 8.1 from scratch using Windows 8.1 ISO.