TikTok has borrowed a leaf from LinkedIn and has launched a new feature that lets you see who has viewed your profile in the last 30 days.
Before your heart jumps out of your chest because you’re still stalking your ex. This feature is turned off by default. Meaning you have to be very intentional for the TikTok to tell someone that you have viewed their profile. So relax!
First Spotted by Nerds back in January 2022
The ‘who viewed your profile’ feature has been in the works for at least a year. It was first spotted by reverse software engineers back in January 2022. A few months afterward, TikTok officially acknowledged the feature after rolling it out officially in a few select regions.
The feature is not available around the globe to all TikTokers. The company says the feature is only available to users with less than 5,000 followers. It doesn’t make sense for TikTok celebs to have this feature since they are … well, celebrities. They get tons of people viewing their profile.
How to Enable TikTok Profile View History
As mentioned earlier, this feature is not turned on by default. You have to turn it on yourself. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Launch the TikTop app, and go to Settings by tapping on the three-line icon located at the top right corner of the app.
- Tap on Settings and Privacy
- Tap on Privacy > Profile Views
- Turn the toggle next to Profile view history to On.
Henceforth, you will be able to see a list of people who viewed your profile. On the flip side, others will also be able to know when you view their profile. It’s sort of a double-edged sword.
How to Disable TikTok Profile View History
If, at some point, you would want to turn off the TikTok profile view history, then follow the steps below:
- Launch the app, and tap on the Inbox page.
- You should see a notification telling you someone viewed your profile. Tap on this notification.
- It will take you to the Profile views page. Now tap on the Settings icon located at the top right corner.
- Toggle off the Profile views history.
Just like that, you can now opt-in and opt-out of seeing who viewed your TikTok profile. Keep in mind, you can only view who viewed your profile if you’re also comfortable with others viewing that you viewed their profile.